Superhero Pillow

My 2 grandsons like Super heros and when I found this fabric on clearance I bought it knowing that I would find some use for it for the boys.  Both boys like to watch tv laying on the floor so I made them each an 18″ pillow.  I cut this fabric 18 1/2″ square and 2 pieces of a backing fabric the same size.  Then I folded the two backing pieces down about 6″ and overlapping the backing pieces, put the front and back pieces together right sides together and sew with a 1/4″ seam. 

Train Blanket

I wanted to make a quick easy quilt for my grandson.  I found the train flannel fabric at Joann’s and some blue fleece for the backing.  Since it was fleece and flannel there was no need for batting.  I put the two back sides of the fabric together and decided to do a couple lines of embroidery stitches to keep it together.  Then I squared up the quilt and put fleece binding on it.

Super Hero Composition Notebook Cover

My grandsons like to draw and write so I made a super hero cover for a composition notebook.  First I sewed some scraps of fabric together and placed it on light batting and used some decorative stitches on my machine to put them together.  Then I took the composition book opened out wide and traced the book on the back side of the fabric and batting. 

Homemade Hand-towels

I like to hang a towel over my stove handle which is next to my kitchen sink to use as a hand towel.  My mother used to crochet a top or make a top of fabric but the fabric never lasted as long as the towel and I don’t crochet.  I saw this idea at a craft show and have been making them ever since.  I like to use good quality towels and find them for all the holidays.  Then I go to the Dollar Store to buy pot holders to match them.  Then I cut the label off the pot holder and find the middle of the holder with the loop on the one side.  Then I lay the towel face down and fold it so the towel fits side to side of the pot holder.  I pin the middle of the towel and pin it to the middle of the pot holder right sides together.  Then I stitch across the middle of both. 

Jungle Themed Nursery Blanket

This was a quilt idea from Joann’s.  You buy the panel for the Jungle Babies fabric book and then there was a Joann’s idea free pattern showing how to make a quilt out of the book panel.  There was coordinating fabric for the borders and backing and instructions that were easy to follow.  You can put a tube on the back if you want to hang the quilt for a wall hanging or just use as a quilt. 

Super Hero Capes

This was a service project that my quilt group made for a local hospital.  There are kids going through cancer treatments who don’t have many choices of things to do so we tried to give them something fun to wear.  They are truly super heros.  This was a free pattern from a website called Sewing with Nancy Zieman.  It gives easy to follow instructions.